Friday, January 9, 2009

The Enabler

As I look down at the bottom of pants and see how they have become wet and messy from going through a puddle, I think to myself: Sometimes you just gotta take a step back and look at yourself. I have been beaten down so hard by marriage that at times I think I am a different person.
I used to be a rebel, I would challenged authority every chance I got. Not only was I looking to push my own limits, but I tried to lead those around me to push their own. I was aggressive and would take chances. I strived to be different and lived for the moment.
Now....now I am satisfied if I can play my videogame once a week. I spend my time making sure I do not get my wife angry, whatever decision can keep relations going smoothly, count me in. Even if it is something I disagree with, I will do it for peace at the home. How fucking lame is that??!?! Typically we rant on things we have very little control of, but here, I rant on my self as I AM AN ENABLER!
If I say 'one plus one equals two', and my wife says 'No it doesn't it equals three!' My response is, 'OK, I am wrong it equals three'.
Even though I know that it does equal two, that information is not relevant. The only detail that does matter, is that she believes it equals three. The fact that I know something is utterly meaningless. But that is me--the enabler--agreeing to anything if it can end a disagreement. Even as I write this I can not believe how fucking weak that is. It puts me in shitty situations......like having the bottom of my pants all wet and messy.

You see, one day while shopping with my wife she forces me to purchase some clothing. Let me say that it is a good thing she forces me to purchase clothes, as it is not something I look to do. So I need some pants for work, and fortunately I know my exact length. I have not really grown in 20 years, so I know my pants are a 32" length. So I grab two pairs of pants and say 'I am ready, let's go.' Not so fast........she insists on analyzing the situation. Ugh. I just want to go home. Then she checks them, uh oh, she points out that the ones I picked out are the wrong size, I would need at least a 34" length. I tell her I need a 32", she explains how her brother is shorter than I am and he always wears a 32" length, so I need to have something longer. I try to explain how her brother will wear his pants in a wigger-like fashion and I do not. Even though all of her jeans fit great, this explanation does not go over to well so I am faced with a situation: 1)either argue about the length of pants or 2)take the much too long pants, have no arguement, go home, and suffer through having pants that are too long.

So I confess, I am an enabler........and my pants are too long.

5 comments:

  1. Whew, pretty sad. I've worn clothes I don't like due to my wife, but clothes that don't fit takes the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn and I thought being single was bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can always get them hemmed and not tell her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like your wife has taken your balls from you or maybe you never had any to begin with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definetly had them to begin with, but she does have them now---so I can clearly see the difference.

    ReplyDelete